Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Good comment from Yitzi

Hi, I just happened upon BB ..

was curious to read the comments of this post..
to know how Chabadnikim think of the Rebbe currently.. [I only know some of the Hassidut of the Alter Rebbe] Thanks to all of you for sharing.

If I could share my thoughts (limited by the fact that I haven't had the benefit of much exposure to the Rebbe's Hassidut -- only one sicha) I would think that it's clear from Igrot haKodesh (in the Tanya) in the letter the Alter Rebbe wrote to console the mourners of the Pri HaAretz, that during the Rebbe's corporeal lifetime, our ability to perceive the Rebbe's ahavah/yirah/emunah were hidden and now it's possible to experience (ie. l'hasig) them directly through our love for him.

@Altie, I'm assuming you don't have children -- I think when you have children, you will better understand what it *feels* like to be a parent and to treat every little thing your children produce as if it is more precious than gold -- maybe then you will really be able to *feel* that the Rebbe not only reads but prizes your letters. [which reminds me of a teaching that touched me from the Baal Shem Tov, (i believe in Tzava'at HaRivash) that just as a father is excited when his child says 'abba' even if the child doesn't even know what he's saying, so too HaShem takes great joy in our calling out His name, even if we don't know what we're saying.]

For myself, all I can say is that I wish I had a chance to see the Rebbe.. even if it was only as a child and I had forgotten the memory.

9 comments:

Altie said...

already commented there, but since trs moved it, ill comment again.

yitz- u may be right. but if your child is upset at you, or vice versa, the love is still there, but it is seemingly hidden, to one or the other. if the child feels that you are not happy with him, he may think that at that moment you no longer love him, even though that isnt true. children percieve things differeantly.

yitz said...

Altie, fair enough, (my son once told my wife that she had to put him to bed that night because I was upset with him -- he was 1.5 yrs old at the time and it was adorable (and obviously I made it clear to him that I wasn't upset w/ him)) but I think a major point of the Tanya is that our feelings are not only within our ability to control (or at least influence) (-- especially happines!!) but it's also our responsibility to work on modifying them (our feelings) through recognizing the reality.

My point was only to give you a new perspective from which you could understand that no matter what it seems like you might have done/not done/been doing/not been doing, the Rebbe still loves you maybe even for specifically those very same things you are not proud of.

One time recently in the middle of mincha it hit me that every time I go to pray I try and be a better person, and then convince myself I will continue to be a better person and feel like I can't come before HaShem without first at least wanting to become a better person.

The shocker for me was the realization that HaShem wants _me_ to daven. Not the person I will be tomorrow, or the beinoni/tzaddik/etc I could potentially become, but the me who is standing before Him. I'm not happy with that person, but He clearly wants me around just as I am -- because thats who He created and who is praying to Him right now, not that other imaginary potential me.

Altie, I don't know you, but I know that you care enough to be upset by what you aren't that you want to be and (1) I think you underestimate just how amazingly major that is, and (2) I think you underestimate how potent a weapon that can be in the hands of the yetzer hara, [if you don't channel it in a productive way first.]

Only only only the yetzer hara benefits from (and wants) you being sad.

e said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
e said...

A nisht-fun-unzereh is spouting the party line! Joy!

yitz said...

@e,

i figured some people might roll their eyes, i know it isn't anything you don't know, i know its really obvious -- i know that i hate being told things i already know. (i imagine half of the point of this blog is to get away from "the party line")

but i couldn't help mentioning it.

oh, and i don't speak/read yiddish; i'm not only not hassidic, and not lubavitch, i'm not even ashkenaz.. what to do? at least i'm Jewish :)

Cheerio said...

don't mind e, yitz. what you wrote was awesome and welcome.

e said...

e is just the resident cynic.

nisht fun unzereh=lo mishalanu

Altie said...

e- an outsider. ya we get it. sometimes they say better things then you say. or they say what u want to say, but dont dare to.oh how hurtful that must be.

yitz- i read what u wrote. i think i need to read it a few more times. but this is what i got:

i agree with you. but, it's all feelings. its not practical. you can tell someone 100 times to 'dont worry be happy.' and it wont help until they internalize it, and feel it themselves.

u think its amazing that i feel the way i do? well id agree with u on that, only cuz it means im not as far gone as i thought i was, and maybe i can still come back while theres still time.

C said...

Thanks, TRS for reposting this. I was really impressed by Yitz's comment as well, and I'm glad you gave it the proper attention.

It's nice not having to justify out actions to an "outsider" and even nicer to have someone from a different community appreciate our connection to our Rebbe.